Saturday, September 14, 2013

Hippensteal Weekend Get-Away Day 2



We woke up at the crack of 9am on Saturday to the most amazing weather we could have asked for. It was beautiful. Clear skies, in the sixties... gorgeous. We woke up slowly and got ready to head down to breakfast, unsure of what we would find... The breakfast was amazing. We were served coffee, frozen orange juice with a spoon followed by the most amazing french toast with strawberries, bananas, strawberry whipped cream, plain whipped cream and a peanut butter drizzle with 2 sausage patties... It was the best french toast I have ever eaten. I was amazed when they brought out maple syrup... I don't understand how anyone could put maple syrup on that french toast.... it was delicious! After breakfast, we headed back up to the room to map out our hike for the day. We picked The Chimney Tops... Doug was unimpressed as we checked it out on HikingtheSmokies.com  . Little did he know it was more difficult than he had imagined... It was a wonderful hike and the perfect day to do it. We made our way up and at the rock face, Doug decided to wait for me to climb to the summit. I couldn't leave without seeing the top. The main trail was closed due to erosion and work being done to repair it... the only way up was to climb the rock face. So be it. I would see the top, even with a fairly significant fear of heights that I have developed in the later years of my life. There was one point where quite honestly, I was ready to turn back, but I hauled my butt up that rock and was thrilled beyond belief when I could stand at the top and see Doug staring back up at me... Success!!! I did it.  While the climb up proved on the easy side for me and the opposite for Doug, the opposite was true on the way down... Kinda funny how that works. It was a great hike though and by the time we reached the bottom we were both feeling it in our legs. We had a yummy lunch back at 3 Jimmy's and then headed back to the Inn for some relaxing. We were greeted by a beautiful basket waiting at our door when we got back to the room. I headed down to make coffee while Doug checked out some football scores and I read a while on the porch swing. After a leisure nap, we headed back out for some mini golf and great steak dinner at the Peddler... of course followed up by desert back at the Inn..... Such a wonderful day.... again.

No comments: